Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Quest for lasting happiness...

Brody was the first to hop on "Frankie"
Then Lissie...

and lastly Zander...

apparently Zach was over pictures by that point because he didn't take one of Zander and. Zander got to go around the arena 3 times while all the other kids only once!!




During my second lesson





So on my quest for happiness I listen to a lot of self help/inspirational books while I clean my house. One of the books I listen to a lot is The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. One of the chapters talks about can money buy happiness and how does money contribute to happiness. In that chapter it talks about how if you spend your money on experiences instead of things it improves your happiness. I often find my self buying stuff to make me happy but once the very temporary high is over I am no m63ore happier than I was before, only a lot more broke!!! Somewhere else in the book it talks about having more fun. One of her friends mentioned that a lot of times things you find fun as a child are often things you will find fun as an adult.


As a kids I did two things a lot...1) Rollerblade and 2) horseback riding. So for mother's day I got myself a new pair of blades. I still love rollerblading and enjoy being able to share that experience with Zander who also inherited his moms love and skills. You should she him, he can Rollerblade like pro especially for his age!!! and right before Christmas I got the crazy idea to start horseback riding again. I brought up the idea to Zach and he was totally on board. He was excited for me to have something I can do in life that will be mine and mine only and also that I would have a chance to shine doing something I love. I started lesson last week and I look forward to tomorrow night when I will go for my 3rd lesson. I go 2 times a week in the evening after Zach gets home from work. After my first lesson she let each of the kids besides Carleigh go for a walk around the arena with me. They all loved it especially Zander. He is now saying when he grows up he wants to be a horseback rider. Unfortunately he will have to wait as for now I am spending all the extra money we have on my lessons.


What are things that you found fun as a child that might bring you more happiness as an adult?


2 comments:

AnnaMarie said...

Darcy, I love that you're doing this for yourself! Hmm, from my childhood, I think I read books...I should think of something cooler.

Richard and Diane said...

I'm so jealous! I've always wanted to take horseback riding lessons. That's awesome that you get to do it and get some time to yourself!